Thursday, December 30, 2010

Why Haiti??

Someone said to me the other day, "Why adopt from Haiti? Why not adopt a baby from Harlem?" I know her intent was to ask why I didn't want to adopt from the US instead of going internationally. There are a couple of reasons why we are looking at Haiti instead of staying in the US.

In the previous post I mentioned that we are not allowed to adopt locally due to a conflict of interest for me and where I work.

Also, I don't want to adopt an infant, I want a toddler so I don't have to go through the infant stages again (as selfish as that may sound).

One of the big reasons is that there is great need in Haiti of loving, forever parents. There is likely no other country in the Western Hemisphere where the need for assistance to orphans and vulnerable children is more obvious. Haiti is the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. 10,000 children are thought to be living on the streets, mostly in Port-au-Prince. An estimated 200,000 children reside in orphanages across the country.

The main reason is that's where we are being led to adopt from. After watching the devasting earthquake in Haiti last year, I knew that was the country we were meant to adopt from. Yes, the child will be another race, but that does not matter to us in the slightest.

So, hopefully that will answer your question about why we are chosing to adopt from Haiti.

No comments:

Post a Comment