Tuesday, December 28, 2010

I dreamed a dream- why we are doing this

Ryan and I have wanted to adopt since the time we met. We always talked about having 2 biological children and adopting a third. I first felt called to adopt in high school, when I spent time volunteering at an orphanage in Mexico. We spent time as foster parents and loved it. We decided to do fost- adopt so we could adopt locally. However, we were told that because I work for the Department of Social Services, we could no longer be foster parents or proceed with fost- adopt because it is conflict of interest for me. It was at that time we decided on international adoption.

We knew we would not be able to afford an international adoption so we put the idea on hold.

However, last week I had a dream that I was holding my Haitian daughter in my arms. The next day I had an email from Rainbow Kids that showed a picture of a little girl from Haiti that was ready to be adopted. It was a sign. We knew it was time.

So here we are...

I have spent hours online researching adoption from Haiti and different adoption agencies. I have talked with a friend who recently adopted from Russia and read about her experience on her blog. Do I feel prepared for what the next few years will bring? No way. But we are going into the adoption process with open minds and open hearts.

We are going on vacation at the end of January. When we get back we are going to send our application to the agency we have chosen and get started saving money for our home study.

I am overwhelmed with emotion just at the thought of adoption. I am nervous, scared, excited, and brought to tears at the thought of bringing another wonderful child into our family. We are already so blessed with our two children and we know our blessings will increase enormously with the addition of a third.

No comments:

Post a Comment